Saturday, January 07, 2023

Humiliating Public View Counts on Twitter

For some reason today is the first time I noticed that everyone can see how often everybody else's tweets have been viewed:

TWITTER IS NOW SHOWING EVERYONE HOW MANY VIEWS YOUR TWEETS GET (@ The Verge) 

 :( :( :( :( :( :( 

Honestly it's one of the smarter shitty things the Musk MElon has done. It's so embarrassing for everybody to be able to see how few people actually see my stupid fucking tweets that I can see it motivating people to drive more traffic to twitter, post more engaging content, etc. THAT is the rationale behind making this data visible to all, NOT to make anyone feel better about fewer people liking and/or replying the way he's suggesting.

I don't totally hate a more competitive aspect (for bitches like me/myself) being added into the mix on Twitter, though I'm sure it will make trolling and viral shitposting by assholes even more of a problem. It's definitely a good point that views have been visible for a long time on YouTube, etc. so {{{shrug}}} Of course, if you're doing it to emulate YouTube, then you should start paying popular creators for views like YouTube's monetization does. Or at least it does if you are not a stigmatized sexy pro or educator.

Just noticing this new "feature" today (WEEKS after it rolled out) gives me one thing to be proud of, anyway: I've not been compulsively scrolling or posting or even much just visiting twitter lately, so that is a great bitch-reducing, positive mental health step taken in my favor, right?


No comments: