Sunday, January 15, 2023

SMANGRY?!?

Well look at this, would you?!? A serious bitch rant from an HSP (highly sensitive person) regarding ODORS over on Introvert Dear:

WHEN YOU'RE SENSITIVE TO SMELLS, YOU REALLY DO GET "SMANGRY"

What It Means to Be ‘Smangry’

You know that word hangry? It means someone is so hungry that they start to feel angry. We all get hangry sometimes. But I’m going to coin a new term for the fragrance-sensitive people out there. Fellow HSPs, we might be smangry!

 

Someone who is not highly sensitive may not even notice these smells, and here I am, barraged by the stink. I start to feel worn down, then stressed and overwhelmed, and finally, irritable and on-edge. 


I definitely have this issue (but I'm relieved to say my nose may not be quite as exquisitely sensitive as "Heather Ream"'s: lord, what a great last name for a bitch ranter). I'm pretty sure I have a bunch of posts here about odors and poor air quality with labels like aromas, scents and air pollution.

I have a lot more thoughts about invasive gross overwhelming smells, but for now I'll just let Heather REAM flesh it out for you along with some helpful, sweet, and funny tips like this one to always carry a handkerchief with you:

I always have a clean handkerchief in my pocket, in case I have to share space with an unpleasant smell for a while. It helps if I unfold the handkerchief and breathe into it to filter out the bad scent. I would like to think I look like a grieving, beautiful ingĂ©nue out of a 1940s war movie who just waved goodbye to her lover leaving on a train. In reality, I probably look more like I’ve got a perpetual nosebleed. Either way, self-care trumps embarrassment and makes it worth it every time.

This reminds me that there's often something beautifully dramatic about sensitive bitches; if I can admire that about someone else ... maybe I can accept it better in myself.

No comments: